Neighborhoods and Nations is the blog of the Colin Powell School for Civic and Global Leadership at the City College of New York. Inaugurated May 2013, the Colin Powell School combines the activities of the former division of social sciences with the leadership and engaged scholarship programs of the Colin L. Powell Center for Leadership and Service. The School comprises the five departments of Anthropology, Economics, Political Science, Psychology, and Sociology, and dynamic interdisciplinary programs, such as those in International Relations, International Studies, Latin American and Latino Studies, Mental Health Counseling, Pre-Law, Public Service Management, Women’s Studies, and the Skadden Arps Honors Program for Legal Studies.
This blog is a forum for faculty, alumni, students, community partners, and staff to share their ideas, opinions, and work locally and around the world.
What We Do
We want Neighborhoods and Nations to be a collective voice and a vehicle for public conversation. Our topics and categories often reflect our work in six key areas:
- Community and economic development
- Health- and mental-health care
- Environmental concerns
- International development
- Global security issues
Our posts fall in one of seven categories:
- News & Events: goings on at the Powell School
- Public Speaking: contributors addressing issues
- Fellows at the Forefront: the work of our fellowship students
- Community Contributions: the work of our community partners
- Our Alumni’s Pursuits: what alumni are up to now
- Faculty Projects: the work of Powell School faculty
- Building Professionals: advice for applying for jobs and moving forward professionally
We Want You!
Are you a faculty member, alumnus, or community partner? We want your contribution! We aim to make the blogging process as easy as possible, so don’t be daunted if you’ve never written for the Web before.